Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Blue of Love : by akaash

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
It was raining.
The drops were continuously drumming down on the tin roof.
There were others in that small, compacted room, that was full of wooden furniture. And everybody was quiet.

It was a roadside shop, near the bus stand, that sold and made cupboards, tables, chairs and likewise wooden accessories. It rained and everybody had rushed in to get a shelter .
I had gone in as well, but why I failed to remember.
Maybe to get a shelter, ... yes, but more because others were going in, and I merely followed them, … to avoid any unwanted public attention.

I tried to be one of them, …

The air in the room was filled with a strong scent of freshly wetted wood and men worked inside, … as they chiseled and hammered quietly … and tried to fit parts into one another.
I stood at the doorstep along with the others, and watched the growing rain, … that started as a few lazy drops and went on to be a downpour.

I was wet. I somehow forgot to open the umbrella I carried.

I watched the buses through the misty drops, as they took passengers from each stop and dropped them at others. That was what they were supposed to do. To take some and to leave some and to continue.

The picture was hazy. … as I tried to remember the Cause.

I had loved her. She had loved me. … And then something happened … that I don’t exactly remember, and neither do I want to. Even, I had forgotten whether I understood what had happened. What got to me was that we could no longer remain together.
As I remember, my first reaction was disbelief.
But then I saw her crying.
As I saw those tears rolling continually down her pale cheeks, … the cheeks whose Colour, I had once promised to myself, to protect, … I felt helpless. I felt I was not a man.

I felt it was Unfair, that Destiny decided to attack from the rear, never giving me a fair chance to get armed for this battle.

I felt like going to her, and taking her in my arms, … making her head rest on my chest, making her tears wet my body, soul, … making her forget every damn fear in this world, … kissing her tender lips, … saying that it was all a farce.

But I had failed to move.
I trembled inside with an unexplainable fear, … as waters flushed out from my eyes. I tried to take a step towards her wanting to show that I had Not turned weak, and she could depend on me, … that we would be finding some way out, …that we would never part.

But the way she had accepted the ‘truth’, … it seemed, … that this would only be a false consolation, … and it was as if she knew this .
… And she taught me this, that you don’t look to fight fate, as it was impossible.

I never listened to this, I didn’t believe that fate couldn’t be changed.
I still had enough willpower, but I knew, … the Only thing that I would ever fail to fight was her Tears, that glistened with truth.

We sat in silence.
For an hour, … maybe. … I don’t exactly remember.

And then she got up.
… and came to me.

Her tears had dried up, though their creases could still be made out on her cheeks.

She looked at me and smiled.
I trembled inside, I wept inside, but something in her smile made me stand up with a belief that a miracle must have happened.

I looked at her with a blank, helpless stare. I could not speak.

She held my face in her two little hands and looked into my eyes.
I once again felt the warmth of her body.

… and then, … we forgot everything, … and Kissed .

We knew that it was the Last One we would ever have.
But it seemed like the Ultimate One.

… it seemed to be the answer to all my questions.
… and it seemed to be the Answer to All the Questions in this world.
We drank and ended each others’ infinite pain.
We reassured each other that Nothing had actually happened, …that No Universal Laws could separate us; … irrespective of what this world thought, … irrespective of what Laws Of Humanity or Conventions said, … irrespective of whether we would meet again, …
… we would remain each others’ forever.

… and then, with closed eyes, and with the essence of the other in our souls, we separated.




Tears were still rolling down from my eyes.
But the rain had stopped.
And the Sun shone brightly.

It was a new beginning.
… not for Me, but for the person inside me, … as I remembered happily that I had successfully ‘left’ Myself to her, … and that I would be Safe in her Heart,
.. forever.

I now smiled the same smile that she had once baffled me with.


and I stepped out of the furniture shop and decided to walk …

3 comments:

Lucifer said...

You are a n-a-t-u-r-a-l!

You write prose as if it was a poem...

Anonymous said...

you got it !

that was always my intention.

Thank you.

I wonder whether you had read the very first post of mine in this blog under the name aakaash. somehow there was password problems, and I had to abort an 'a'.
I wrote in that piece 'exactly' the same thing.

Forgive me, I think I cant write poems. That's why I write prose.

Vivek Panda said...

yes, i do agree absolutely with The Nameless One. The piece IS written to form such a nice effect that the notes of the music combined to form a grand symphony with an inherent writhing pain embedded in it. Keep writing.