Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Music

I
Reverie

Your maddening fragrance…
It is night now,
Warm and windy.
I’m half naked
And exhausted
From all the heat
In the mine.

But I have with me platinum.

It reminds me of you,
(It’s yours, of course.)

Oh, I am coming.

But let me remember you-
Haha. Alright, let me imagine?

You are the ambience
In my beach, deserted.
You are its pulse,
Its constant throb.
In the white powder of light
From the light house,
You lurk, flaunting your
Quasi flawless body
To the rustling of the mangroves
So short and stout, I laugh.
Jobless bitch.
(I’m laughing of course, my love)
And now are you in
The fisherman’s boat,
Rolling lazily about,
Against the rough wood
Your watery being.

I saunter now,
Here and there, round and round.
A dog barks at me at
This hour in the night.
I hum a tune
In madhuvanthi.
I try wearing
Fewer wisps on my hair,
So you’ll make some.

II
Walk

I cross the road.
I’m half-naked, sweaty
And scared. (Stop laughing)
I walk fast.

People sleep here too,
Between me and you, our havens.
On the road.
Their children naked, malnourished,
Sleeping blissfully,
The womenfolk badly clothed,
Inside makeshift tents,
The men, fast asleep,
With palms closed on their chests.

I’m scared.

I hear you…

You’re so permanent.
The same.
You, my love, are
My purpose- constancy.

I walk across the bushes.
I sweat profusely.

I’m scared of snakes.

But I can hear you…
Psychedelic rhythm…

III
Tryst

I’m here, the sands are cold…
Ah…
The wind now…
I rub my spectacles clean.

I look back.

Reddish sky, (it’s about to rain, eh?)
Black silhouettes of coconut trees,
The bushes behind.
The lighthouse.
The boats.
Nothing else.
Eh? Haha.
Everything behind me.

I’m here.
With my reverie
And a gift.
In your haven.

I breathe air so moist,
I’m mad, with my reverie,
And I can see you
Complying gracefully.
I can hear your pulse.
I stay here, still.
I need to hear you
For some more time.
I can see you.

The moon is yellow tonight,
The sky, a milky purple,
With thick, grey clouds.
I kick my slippers off…

IV
Love

Hear me breathe?
Feel my sweat?
Why must you be here?
Why must I be there, parched
All day, in the mine?

Perhaps, (I smile) dearest,
Our lore is what we run our lives on,
A fuel we love,
The only thing we love
More than ourselves.

The process, darling.
Of dreaming, being,
Feeling, thinking,
Drawing, Singing,
Reminiscing, Hankering.

Perhaps this circle
Sublimes into the link
That we seek.
You seamlessly surge and ebb,
On this shore…
And I,Toil in the mine.
We procreate platinum, love,
For ourselves.
We must, for we are.

Here, the gift.

What is it to make love to you?
I can never remember.
You brackish being
Permeate through my skin…
My hair frenzied…

We talk. For hours, endlessly.

V
Sleep

I’m exhausted.
I walk back.
A day’s pain
Enmeshed in pleasure.
I sleep a dreamless sleep.

4 comments:

Vivek Panda said...

reading this, i lost myself in the ocean of thoughts that drowned me. not only ur creations are bottomless in depth, but they also carry a message, that makes u think, that reminds us how incomplete we actually are though we try our best to pretend that we're not!

Shashi Iyer said...

to tell u how much i love what i write, no comment would suffice. i'm perinnially disarticulate. perhaps its the reader of any work, who takes the work to a different level of realisation. it is difficult to garner readers of that sort. thanks, vivek.

Anonymous said...

First, love_and_hate!
Then, a bit of introspection!
Then, utter helplessness;
And finally the Truth,...which we always manage to avoid, fearing Ourselves.
..and then "a dreamless sleep",enabling the mind to rest a bit before it could start this journey all over again!

Well Written!

.. tell me why do we do this?
.. why do we 'Remember'?

But, again,.. we should thank our Idiotic Heart,.. that we do!

Shashi Iyer said...

aakash, thanks for the complients, but are these in response to my poem, at all? :)